Saturday 4 August 2012

Mindanao Trip Part 1 - Surigao Del Sur

Dear God,
I know getting lost is in my blood but can you make an exception for tomorrow, puh-leese? *puppy eyes*

I don't know if I shared this before but I am now in the Philippines for a research work. Tomorrow is quite a 'body shaking-nailbitting' day for me as I would have my first trip to eastern part of Mindanao alone. I'll be heading to Hinatuan Bay, Surigao del Sur and live in the coastal villages there.
Funny how people wondering and surprise why I choose Surigao as my site research while there are so many coastal villages in the Philippines. I got curious, and it turned out that Surigao used to be home of communist rebel group NPA (New People's Army) or sometimes people making jokes about by saying that I will meet Nice People Army.
I don't know how to feel about that. I just hope that I will be safe.

So, how do I know about Hinatuan?
I met with Ms. Jovelyn, the executive director of CERD in a conference on mangrove rehabilitation back in 2010. They have awesome community based coastal resource management (CBCRM) run by women. Interesting program because there is no CBCRM in Indonesia that specifically focusing on women.
Here's is the link of their website:
http://cerd.ph/


I can't wait until tomorrow, a one hour plane, 4 hour bus drive, and tricycle. Sounds like a long trip. But hey, the project has just started :)






No comments:

Post a Comment